Friday, July 2, 2010

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edna St. Vincent Millay is my favorite poet.  I accidentally stumbled across a copyright free image of her on the web....and couldn't help giving her a crown of flowers.  Isn't she lovely.  Click this link to read Renascence:  http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Edna_St_Vincent_Millay/edna_st_vincent_millay_renascence.htm

Or there's always First Fig:
"My candle burns at both ends,
it will not last the night. 
But ah, my foes, and oh. my friends,
it gives off such a lovely light."

And Second Fig
"Safe upon the solid rock
the ugly houses stand.
Come and see my shining palace
built upon the sand."

Portrait by a Neighbor
"Before she has her floor swept
or her dishes done,
any day you'll find her
sunning in the sun.

It's long after midnight.
Her key is in the lock.
You won't see her chimney smoke
before 10 o'clock.

She digs in her garden
with a shovel and a spoon.
She weeds her lazy lettuce
by the light of the moon.

She walks up her walk
like a woman in a dream.
She forgets she borrowed butter
and pays you back in cream.

Her lawn looks like a meadow,
and if she mows the place,
She leaves the clover standing
and the Queen Anne's Lace!"

That's who I want to be when I grow up!  Enjoy.






2 comments: